Letting go of perfect doesn’t happen overnight but guess what? It IS possible! Of course you are the only one that sets the bar, it’s all in your head. Yes, it’s real, though no-one else sets your expectations and no one else really knows what goes on inside your head.
Perfect is not achievable and only sets you up to fail. It can be crippling and stop you from achieving. It’s time to let it go! Create the life that is less than perfect and be happier than you thought possible.
Try taking on a new title ‘Aspiring NOT to be superman/woman’. Challenge the thoughts that start with the words ‘I should…’.
Awareness is the first step to solving the puzzle. Be aware of your thoughts, be aware of your self-criticism. Think about yourself as if you were your best friend. Would you speak to your best friend in the way you speak to yourself?
Doing things that you perceive are not perfect can make you feel really inadequate. Or to re-phrase, you allow yourself to feel inadequate. No-one else is putting that pressure on. Are your self expectations achievable, sustainable and manageable?
Here are 8 ways to let go of perfect, helping you let go of stress and anxiety and drop the need for perfectionism. Increasing your energy and zest for life will be the ultimate reward.
1. Notice negative thoughts. We wake up in the morning thinking of the things we have to do and it doesn’t take long for the thoughts of inadequacy to come flowing in. Notice them. Pause. Be aware but don’t buy into them. Learn to laugh at them. Read more here.
2. Praise yourself for the things you DO achieve. Remind yourself every day, you are enough. Right here, right now is where you are meant to be. If you don’t like where you are that’s ok. Change is always possible. Just one step at a time.
3. Repeat daily and often ‘Done Is Better Than Perfect’. This is a great motto to adopt to help you find your awesome. It’s way better to get a task off the ‘to do list’ than to wait until it’s perfect.
4. Schedule your day with realistic expectations. Scheduling can help you realise there are only so many hours in a day and only so much you can achieve. Life is all about the journey and having fun along the way. Schedule in the fun!
5. Take things less seriously. Loosen up. Smile. Often. To let go of perfect we must accept that it’s OK to be imperfect. Imperfection is perfectly ok. You are uniquely imperfect and have so much to offer just as you are.
6. Let go of comparing yourself to others. Never compare your beginning to someone else’s middle. ‘What other people think is none of your business’. Stop being a people pleaser. Spend that energy working toward pleasing yourself. Doing what you want to do, not what you think you ‘should’ do.
7. Failures are learning experiences. Embrace them. Self criticism can be at it’s worst when things don’t go to plan. When you are striving for perfect, you can feel like you’ve failed on a daily basis. This is not the case! Lower your self expectations and never regret. Failures are just lessons.
8. Drop the word ‘should’ from your vocabulary. ‘If you should have, you would have’. Notice how often you say ‘should’. Re-phrase it to ‘could’, ‘could but chose not to’. Have fun picking up on how many times you say ‘should’. Read more here.
Done really is better than perfect. Let go of perfect. Today. You are enough just as you are. Start by noticing your habits. Awareness is the first step. If you already have awareness, it’s time to work on creating some new habits.
You are a whole lot of awesome. Believe it.
ACTION At the end of your day, write down 3 things you liked about yourself that day. There will be at least three things. Make it a new habit.